Re: Outhaul, again

Are you certain that the wire is the outhaul?  I would expect the
outhaul to consist of rope.  Maybe it is a topping lift that should be
hooked to the backstay.  If you can reconcile a different use for the
wire, try this with the rope with two blocks:

Shackle the block with the becket to the top of the outboard boom
casting (mine has a hole on top that just fits the 1/4" pin on the
shackle) and shackle the other block to the cringle in the mainsail
clew.  Run the rope from the becket to the clew block and back
through the outboard casting block, then forward to a cleat on one
side of the boom.  (This gives you a two-to-one purchase on the
outhaul.  You can't do much while the main is flaked on the boom,
but you won't need the outhaul then, either.)  My rig was on the
port side, but I moved it to starboard this year to make room for the
jiffy reefing slide.  If you have a cheek block on the same side of the
boom as the cleat, it might fit in this lash-up as well.

Check Bob Schimmel's Tech Tips for the original Clark instructions
for setting the reefing lines.

I delayed this response for a while because I was going to post a
snapshot, but I never got around to it.  Char, I hope you were able
to make use of the direct message I sent you or somebody else's
advice if mine didn't help.

Jack