From: D. Wendal Attig [mailto:thecoach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2001 2:36 PM
To: sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Sj23 Tech Tips

Hi Maureen,

First Question:  What did a 1982 San Juan 23 cost?
I have a 1983 SJ 23. While dealer mark-ups varied slightly depending on
seasonal incentives, the boats retailed at $12,795 FOB plus (in my case)
$3964.22 in freight charges from Auburn, WA  to the Buffalo NY Area* .The
sail inventory was not included in the price, which was another;  $425 for a
racing main ($390 for a cruising main),  $280/$258 for the jib, $360 for the
153% Genoa and $460 for the spinnaker. Of course radio, instrumentation,
compass, outboard and mount, boarding/swim ladder and safety equipment were
extra as well. (*Source: Clark Sails Price Sheet, "Effective April 15,
1982"). it would easily have been possible to have $20-21,000 into the boat
when it went into the water initially--another $1200-1500 if you also added
a new trailer to the deal.

Suggestion on your docking in high winds:

I never dock with the centerboard down. The centerboard is rarely effective
unless you are under sail (or enjoy scraping bottom in shallow water!)
I have noticed however that with the high freeboard on the SJ23, at slow
speeds (typically at docking or mooring  speed) there is a lot of surface
area subject to wind pressure, throwing the bow off in a direction other
than normal rudder control provides (in flying this same effect is called
sideslipping--moving ahead in almost the right direction, but sideways as
well).

Typically I found have found that the solution is to go slow enough to
control, yet fast enough to counter the wind. Anticipate, anticipate,
anticipate, then adjust, adjust, adjust to the changing attitude of the boat
to the wind , make counter-moves in advance and leave yourself and other
boats a wide berth. Keep your motor running (even if in neutral) until you
are safely moored or secured to the dock, even though most kicker-sized
outboards are not up to the "quick reversal" challenge. Above all, keep your
"crew" at the ready with fenders and boat hooks to limit any potential
damage.

Better yet......just stay out and play until the wind dies down--you can
always claim "boating safety" as the "Captain's decision"that kept you from
being on time to the next appointment!

I wish you smooth sailing and better mooring.

D. Wendal Attig
Branding Expert, Speaker and Author presents keynotes and seminars
for corporate and association audiences with practical, how-to advice
to help you take your audience, company or private professional practice
to the next level of;

--Profitability
--Customer Loyalty
--Internal Brand Impact

To schedule the right presentation for your audience, contact;
   The Advisory Team
   Office: 727-937-3322
   Fax: 727/937-4722
   Internet: http://www.theadvisoryteam.com