Re: Sj23 Tech Tips

I would agree with Mike regarding keeping the centerboard down.
Although not as effective at slow speed I think the centerboard down
helps. The centerboard doesn't know or care if sails are up or down, it
can help reduce leeward movement of the boat.  Anything you can stick in
the water to assist steering is OK with me.

I believe it was this message board that had a discussion awhile back
about outboards and props and their effectiveness.  Perhaps another size
prop on your same motor may help control the boat better.  I had a
similar problem with my previous motor (7.5 hp).  I replaced it with a
(9.9 hp) outboard with a different size prop on it. The boat is much
more responsive to the engine now.  But I attribute the change more to
prop size than horsepower increase.  There was a very good article in
Sail (I think?) magazine a few months back that addressed selecting the
correct prop size.  Perhaps someone else remembers the article and can
confirm.

Regards,

Dave Gottschalk