Re: anchor lights, was Tech Tips

I believe one should allways have anchor light dusk to
dawn, except at a certified harbour of ancorage.  On a
lake with alot of fishermen driving boats around drunk
at 3 A.M. and you are anchored "out"  I would
reccomend that the bow and stearn lights be on---not
required, but some of these yo-yo's are not used to
looking for mast lights, and it only takes one to
disturb ones sleep.   Without proper
lighting--red/green front, and white stearn, plus
mast--you should not be out there.  Fog and dark
happen.  Power and wire anayway you want--just be
shure they last till sunup. A lantern hoisted may be
even better that a mast light.  Paul
--- Chuck vanDe Wetering <wwp62@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Bob,
>
> My understanding of maritime law or procedure is
> that when anchoring in
> obvious traffic lanes (which I would only do as a
> last measure in the face
> of an expected blow) you need an anchor light on top
> the mast. It is
> possible boats the size of ours are not required to
> do this but where I live
> that might invite a visit from a tug towing a barge
> or worse! This is off
> the top of my head as my books and manuals are on
> board the boat and I am
> home.
> -
> Chuck and Barbara Vande Wetering
> PO Box 2205
> Friday Harbor, WA 98250
> wwp62@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 360-378-3194
> http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Rapids/5493

=====
Paul Rosebud Halenbeck                                      --30 Turner St suite 908                                    --Clearwater Florida 33756                                 ---His mind was a terrible thing to waste--