Re: anchor lights, was Tech Tips

Bob:  I fully agree that lights should be used
properly, and here on the gulf and Intercoatal that is
the way I do it, as do most of the boats going by my
house.   When i was in Northern Mn However with alomst
100% motorboats a mast light was not anything that
they were looking for.  It was common (incorect)
practice in that locality to leave the red/green
front, and white rear lights on at anchor or running.
(Or none was real common to)  That is why I followed
the incorrect practice there, and the correct practice
here.   The correct way is good, but the 'local custom
for safty' was the point I was making.  Perhaps I used
to live in a area where rules and ecquiptment
violations were common--
--- Bob Spencer <bspen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Without proper
> >lighting--red/green front, and white stearn, plus
> >mast--you should not be out there.  Fog and dark
> >happen.
>
> and
>
> >More lights give you
> >more visibility among the irresponsible boaters we
> run into
> >everywhere,
>

> On first thought, I agree, but... Don't the running
> lights signal that you
> are, well, running? Just as in the rules of the
> road, where starboard boat
> not only has right of way in a crossing situation
> but the responsibility to
> take it, so the other boats will know what he's
> going to do, are you even
> allowed to burn your running lights when anchored?
>
> Bob
>

> Archives:
> http://www.mobilegeographics.com/sanjuan23/
> San Juan 23 Tech Tips:
> mailing list commands:
mailto:majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?body=help

=====
Paul Rosebud Halenbeck                                      --30 Turner St suite 908                                    --Clearwater Florida 33756                                 ---His mind was a terrible thing to waste--