outboard

I am in the process of purchasing a new motor for my boat and need some
input on the appropriate size. I seem to recall a discussion in the past
which indicated about a 6 hp outboard was required to drive the boat to
hull speed, but don't remember the details of what was said....maybe it was
a 5.5 hp. Does anyone use a 5 hp outboard on their boat? If so, is that
enough powder?

All things being considered, I seem to be faced with choosing between an 8
hp and a 5 hp. Any advice based on experience? My sailing is done on a
moderate size inland lake, no tides, etc.

Bob