My Johnson 6 does the trick for me on Long Island Sound.  For you to use
a 5 on a lake would seem adequate.

Paul Hensler
************

----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Spencer
Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2002 1:36 PM
To: San Juan mailing list
Subject: outboard

I am in the process of purchasing a new motor for my boat and need some
input on the appropriate size. I seem to recall a discussion in the past
which indicated about a 6 hp outboard was required to drive the boat to
hull speed, but don't remember the details of what was said....maybe it was
a 5.5 hp. Does anyone use a 5 hp outboard on their boat? If so, is that
enough powder?

All things being considered, I seem to be faced with choosing between an 8
hp and a 5 hp. Any advice based on experience? My sailing is done on a
moderate size inland lake, no tides, etc.

Bob

Archives:  http://www.mobilegeographics.com/sanjuan23/
San Juan 23 Internet Fleet:  http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Rapids/5493/
San Juan 23 Tech Tips:  http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2358/index.html