Re: Trailer help

dkg1952@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Fellow SJ Skippers,
>
> Looking for a little advice on a trailering issue.  Right now I have a
> tandem axle trailer for my SJ 23.  The keel of the boat rests on
> rollers.  The hull of the boat rests on carpeted bunk boards.  Because
> of boat placement the tongue weight on the trailer is too light.
> Naturally, I would like to move the boat farther forward on the trailer
> for better balance.  However, I can't do this because of the limited
> placement of the rollers on the cross members of the trailer.  The keel
> would come off the aft rollers if I moved the boat forward.
>
> I am considering replacing the rollers with a bunk board(s) under the
> keel.  This would give me the necessary positioning I need on the
> trailer.
>
> I am concerned that the boat will be too difficult to slide on and off
> the trailer without the use of rollers.  Do any skippers out there have
> experience with this and/or opinions on same.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave Gottschalk
> dkg1952@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Dave:

My suggestion is to leave the rollers on the trailer so the boat will be easier
to move.
However, have you thought about moving the axles back?  It takes very little
movement, only inches, to increase the hitch weight.  Of course this works only
if the axles aren't welded to the frame.

See the Trailer Tech Tips
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2358/a_trailer_tips/a.html
--
Kind Regards