Starting an engine out of water

I purchased a brand new 2003 Nissan 6 HP 4 stroke engine and installed it yesterday.  After about the tenth or so pull, the string broke (of course this happened 40+ feet from the dock in the rain ☺).  It turns out the cord created a gash in the rubber gasket from the angle of which I was pulling.  Apparently rubbing against the gasket was enough to break the cord.  The motor is designed to be started only from an angle perpendicular to the engine which is impossible on a San Juan 23 with the engine in the water.

So here is my question.  Will it hurt the engine to start the motor out of water then quickly lower into the water?

Thanks!

Paul Borghese