From: "Paul Borghese" <pborghese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2002 10:58 AM
Subject: Starting an engine out of water

> I purchased a brand new 2003 Nissan 6 HP 4 stroke engine and installed it
yesterday.  After about the tenth or so pull, the string broke (of course
this happened 40+ feet from the dock in the rain ☺).  It turns out the cord
created a gash in the rubber gasket from the angle of which I was pulling.
Apparently rubbing against the gasket was enough to break the cord.  The
motor is designed to be started only from an angle perpendicular to the
engine which is impossible on a San Juan 23 with the engine in the water.

> So here is my question.  Will it hurt the engine to start the motor out of
water then quickly lower into the water?