RE: Starting an engine out of water

Haning had to replace one of these in my power boat, before converting to sail ;-), I would NOT start the motor that way at all. At the very least you will shorten the life of the impeller. This thing is a hard rubber item that has a tight friction fit inside a plastic housing. It heats up fast out of water. In my cast I had only started my engine for a few seconds a couple of times before dragging it 40 miles to play. Seemed like a prudent thing to do. Then I learned about the earmuffs. It was still functional, but it was obvious event to a rank amateur that the plastic had ineed been very hot and actually had streaks of the black rubber impeller imbedded in it.

Anyway you can install some kind of roller to save the starter roap?

Wes