Re: outboard

If I recall the archive discussion, someone was
advocating a 15 or so, on the theory that one does not
have to run-it full bore, and more power is good.  I
wrote that I had a 9 1/2 on a baloba 20--too much
power--and now have a 8 mercury 2 stroke on a Westerly
22--a heavy boat, especially as compared to the
Sanjuan 23, and the 8 did everything I neeed and more.
 This was true--on the inland lake I was on--but now
on the Gulf of Mexico I could use  more power.  How
much is a question, but would guess up to 15. This is
tides, currents, and some really nifty waves at times.
        So here is my oponion--inland-6-8 is fine.
Maybe up to 9.9.  (but 9.9 is overkill)  Gulf of MX
9.9 + to 15.  This does not get to the 4 cycles being
torquer? (more push at lower r.p.m.s.  Also note that
several motors, using Merc as a example, are the same
weight and size through several H.P. You get to look
this one up yourself, but last I looked a 6 and a 10
were the same weight and configuration.  When the Feds
put motor limits in the Boundery waters canoe area,
folks that used the motor routes would get the 15 hp
and the cowling for the 8 and the federalias would
have not a clue.  In that area there is some big
water, and some long distances, and poking along with
a low hp engine full of gear was painfull. Point being
that one can move up a model without increasing
weight, just cost.                           ---Part
of the question is do you occasionally have to push
through waves over the bow to get home on bigger water
or not.  If so pop for the 8, or even a bit more.  A 6
well do fine till water washes over the bow. A 8 will
move it.  A 10-15 will move you with confidence, but
there is more force on the bracket, stern, and need
for better components. I have never felt that using a
bracket even close to its rated limit was bright.  I
also have re-enforced the stern with marine plywood or
similar when installing a new bracket.  There are more
that a couple motors at the botom of Big bay on Lake
Vermillion (Minnesota) and between Grand portage and
that island in Lake superior that looks like the wolfs
eye due to storms vs brackets vs standard inslation.
When your outboard lifts out of the water, then slams
back there is alot of force on both the
bracket/motor/and hull.                        Which
gets to props.  The motor you buy has a standard prop,
and you may want to get a prop designed to push a
heavy load--like a sailboat, instead of the fishing
boat that the factory prop was designed for.  Some
salesmen will look at you like you are nuts, but
tell-up what you are pushing, in weight, and to call
the factory or distributor for a better prop for your
application.  (Bob--moderate inland lake--5 is fine)
                     -------Disclamer--This oponion is
just that of one guy, who mostly runs outboards that
he finds used and cheap.
--- Bob Spencer <bspen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am in the process of purchasing a new motor for my
> boat and need some
> input on the appropriate size. I seem to recall a
> discussion in the past
> which indicated about a 6 hp outboard was required
> to drive the boat to
> hull speed, but don't remember the details of what
> was said....maybe it was
> a 5.5 hp. Does anyone use a 5 hp outboard on their
> boat? If so, is that
> enough powder?
>
> All things being considered, I seem to be faced with
> choosing between an 8
> hp and a 5 hp. Any advice based on experience? My
> sailing is done on a
> moderate size inland lake, no tides, etc.
>
> Bob
>

> Archives:
> http://www.mobilegeographics.com/sanjuan23/
> San Juan 23 Tech Tips:
> mailing list commands:
mailto:majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?body=help

=====
Paul Rosebud Halenbeck --30 Turner St suite 908 --Clearwater Florida 33756                                                      "If you set aside 3 mile island, and Chernubyl nucular power has a good safty record."  Tresuary Securaty Paul O'Neil  --                                                         -"I cannot get no satasfaction, I can't get no Girlie action"  Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones, written in Clearwater Fl at the Fort Harrison Hotel in 1965 after Clearwater P.D. closed down a concert for excessive rowdyness after 4 songs.