Re: mourning

Bob Spencer wrote:

> >I have asked Chuck to move
> >me to the Associate Skippers list, but I will always sail my SJ23 in
> >my dreams.
>
> I think you speak the truth, Jack. It's very strange to me how we manage to
> invest so much emotion in a man-made object, but I am certainly capable of
> that, and how. I was fortunate enough to be the owner and pilot of an old
> cloth and wood, open cockpit biplane, a 1941 Stearman, for eight years, and
> I came to love it dearly. Because I had a heart attack, I wound up selling
> it in 1987, and I knew the instant it took off on its sayonara flight that
> I had made a mistake. I wasn't wrong. I still think of the blasted thing
> very frequently after all these years, and it's ridiculous how much I miss
> it. I always will, I'm sure. I'll never feel that way about my San Juan,
> but I can easily understand how someone could. For my part, few more
> beautiful things have ever been made than a really attractive sailboat.
> It's more than looks, though, it's the.... essence.
>
> Bob

Hi Jack;

Back in 1970 I bought a burnt orange Datsun 240Z from a dealer in Vancouver who
gave me a deal if they could could display it at the P&E for a month.  This was
at a time when each city had a quota and delivery took at least 6 months.  I
had the first one in Edmonton and a couple of speed shops in town wanted to
look at that car in the worst way.  Got some excellent advice from these guys
and a real good deal from the local Michelin dealer. Two months later Road &
Track did a review on the car and I was the envy of everyone in town. Then son
number one came along and there was no room for a high chair so I was forced to
sell her.  Gawd I miss that buggy and the good times that went her. So I share
your loss and I know what you're going through. But with every loss comes a new
gain. Have no fear, one will come along.

Best Regards