Re: new outboard

consider a bicycle gear shift cable arrangement, you want to look for one of the early models that used levers instead of handgrip shifting. the greater range of motion, the better, this will allow you to change F-N-R w/o looking

From: Bob Schimmel <bschimme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: new outboard
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 19:13:30 -0600
From owner-sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Fri, 03 May 2002 18:17:32 -0700
Sender: owner-sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bob Spencer wrote:

> Just a bit of feedback on the question I asked earlier about the
> appropriate size outboard for my SJ23. We decided on a Nissan 5.0 hp
> 4-stroke, standard shaft length, high thrust prop. We haven't used it much,
> so far, but are confident it will do the job for us. The SJ23 seems an
> easily driven boat, and our new motor pushes it right along at 25% power,
> which we are limited to for the first 20 hours of the break-in period.
>
> I had also asked earlier about a replacement motor mount pad. I made one of > some special plywood bonded with resin for hard outside conditions, and it > came out very well. I also finished it with a two-part resin, and time will
> tell how that will work out.
>
> The new motor is half the weight of our 9.9 hp Murcery 4-stroke which it
> replaces, and it's a real delight to handle. Raising and lowering it is a
> snap compared to the other motor. It's also easy to tilt, although, most of
> the time, it can be raised high enough to make tilting unnecessary.
>
> Now, my next question...has anyone rigged an extension for the gearshift on
> their outboard? I'm thinking of a brass rod fixed to the shifting lever
> with a swivel joint, extended forward and through a loose fitting on the
> stern rail post. It would have to be rigged so that the motor can be raised
> an lowered with it in place, and so as to put the end of the rod, with a
> nice knob, easily at hand for the person handling the motor. It would,
> hopfully, prevent having to lunge over the stern rail to shift to neutral
> or reverse as the boat is entering the slip. Any thoughts about this
> problem would be appreciated.
>
> Bob

> San Juan 23 Internet Fleet: http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Rapids/5493/

Hi Gang;

With regard to Bob's request for a remote shifter, I'm also looking for a
design for which I don't have to hang over the transom to adjust the throttle
or the shifter. I consider looking backward while the boat is moving forward
just a wee bit on the stupid side, especially when entering a tight area like a
marina.
The design I see as being acceptable is one where the throttle and shifter
controls are somewhere in the cockpit.  What I haven't figured out is how to
connect it to an engine that is not designed to accept it, like a Merc 7.5 HP.
However, I would like to see a design that is generic so it could fit any
outboard that could hang on the back of an SJ23. Why just solve my problem!

Best Regards

Steve Smith
Bandera, TX