Boom Position/kerf questions

I've checked the tips and saw Bob S' tip on gates for the mast kerf to keep the slugs in position and allowing the mainsail storage along the boom...but I've got a question.
I took possession of my SJ23 and the broker had already dropped the boom and mainsail before I could see exactly how everything was rigged.  And the sail was stored on the boom with a cover.  But now that I have attached the boom and put the main slugs in the kerf, I have the fallout problem in the gate.  I stopped it by putting locking wing nut on a bolt so that I could get the cover on, but what keeps the lowest slug in the kerf while sailing?  Is it a problem or is my boom too low?
Rudy
s/v Thesaurus

This email has been scanned for all known viruses.