Re: SJ23 cabin Heater

I agree with Bob completely. I lived aboard for about one year here in Friday Harbor while building my home. The heater was only on when I was up, not when asleep. Heat while in bed is the responsibility of your significant other, wife, or a good sleeping bag. You can sleep in the snow while hiking with a good bag so why not in a boat at night? By the way, the safest fuel for heating or cooking is probably CNG because the  gas rises rather than falls into the bilge and lying there until a spark ignites it. It probably isn't practical due to the difficulty of finding it near lakes or the coast, but it probably is the safest.I used it on my Catalina 36. Of course all my boating is done in Paradis in the Puget Sound San Juan and Gulf Islands, and north to the sunshine coast of British Columbia. Snow seldom sticks here for long.

Chuck Vande Wetering

-------Original Message-------

Date: Thursday, April 03, 2003 06:58:53
Subject: Re: SJ23 cabin Heater

Some people I know of use this style of heater while asleep. Although
most will heat the cabin for evening and snuff the flame just before
beddy bye time, preferring to rely on the warmth of a good sleeping bag.
Some don't like the hiss noise of the flame.

The problem with the gas fueled unit is that it looses pressure as the
fuel is consumed. Then the heater will likely become sooty up the
chimney as the flame dies.
The propane unit will burn clean as long there is fuel and pressure in
the tank. It starts very quick and will burn clean all the time.
However, the propane tank requires an automatic shutoff valve in case of
a leak. It is probably a good idea to install an oxygen depletion
detector in the cabin if you decide to sleep with either unit burning.

The majority use of these heaters are used at the dock or anchored in
the rain doing maintenance, reading a book or party time. Just go into
an anchorage and watch which boat has people on board. 9 times out 10
they'll be on the heated boat, regardless of the size. There is nothing
like a warm cabin to make you feel snug and cozy. There is also nothing
like a damp, cold cabin to drive you off the water and away from
boating. Gawd what a miserable feeling. I would much rather be on land
where walking can keep me warm.

Hope that helps.

--

Kind Regards