Re: Rudder

About ten years ago I was sailing my Hobie Cat 16 off Alki Point across Puget Sound and had it up on one hull (flying the hull) and hit either a dolphin or killer Whale and snapped off the down rudder. When I went to replace it there was a new material in use that was virtually unbreakable. I replaced both rudders with it. I can'r remember what the name of it was but assume it is available for other boats as stock material. A Hobie dealer might know.

Chuck Vande Wetering

-------Original Message-------

Date: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 06:47:50
Subject: Re: Rudder

Wow, I've sailed in lot stronger winds than that and not experienced a
problem like this with the rudder. It has popped off but it never broke.

It may seem academic at this point but I'm suspecting that the blade was
loose in the rudder head and the side play eventually scored a line on
either side of the blade. Exactly the thing required to snap it, just
like glass. A break like this is very difficult to repair. I suppose
it can be done. Phone Gene at 800-883-2814. He has new blades @ $225.00.

--

Kind Regards

SJ23 - http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2358/index.html