Re: Another New Owner :o)

Donna,
I am interested in learning more about the drawers installed under you
berths.  Do you have pictures of them?  This has got to be better than
lifting cushions!
I sail on Lake Lanier, north of Atlanta.  Isn't it great to sail year
round!
Thanks,
Jim
sail #523

             Donna Cobb
             <dndcobb@bellsout
             h.net>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
             owner-sanjuan23@m                                          cc
             obilegeographics.
             com                                                   Subject
                                       Another New Owner :o)

             09/29/2003 11:07
             AM

             Please respond to
             sanjuan23@mobileg
              eographics.com

Danny, my husband has not yet posted to the listgroup so I thought I'd
introduce ourselves. We've been lurking so  here is part of our story...
:o)

We are also new owners (about 1 1/2 months now) of a San Juan 23, 1978
in near perfect condition. She has no name- perhaps Kestrel (we love
bird watching and I have raised, rehabbed and released many Kestrels) or
Flittermaus (we are also cavers;  bat in German). You wouldn't believe
how cared for this boat is and we looked at many boats before we decided
on her. All of the inside (I'm no sailor so don't expect sailor-ease
language from me!) is teak and the former owner built custom drawers
under the sofa/ beds. We are brand new, total neophytes to sailing, but
spend every weekend on her and are learning quickly.

We live in Birmingham, Alabama and have her in a slip at beautiful Lake
Guntersville, a lake surrounded by rolling mountains, lots of limestone
bluffs and a winter Eagle migration site. The bird watching is fantastic
and the Alabama weather near perfect. Guntersville is about one and half
hours from our house and in the heart of caving country so we can cave
on one day and sail the next! Perfect! No more 3:00 am drive home from a
long cave trip adventures- now we just camp on the boat! Hooray! We are
having great time learning everything and thankfully, he has a near
photographic memory and has devoured every book on sailing small boats
he can find. Me? My petite brain will only hold so much info!

When not captaining, Danny works for Alabama Power Company in fire
safety, compliance and confined space rescue/ emergency response and I
am an archaeozoologist specializing in animal use systems of the
southeastern Indians, but experienced in all manner of archaeological
site work.

Look forward to reading the listgroup posts and hope the weather is
wonderful for you!

Donna and Danny Cobb
Alabama