Re: Boom Position/kerf questions

Rudy,

My rig has two sail stops installed in the mast track.  The stops are essentially sail slugs with knurled knobs attached to their side.  Similar to your wing nut design.  The stops can be adjusted in the track as needed.  I have one stop just above the gate to keep the sail slugs in the slot.  The other stop is just below the gate to keep the boom in the slot.

To store the sail under cover I lower the sail but I also allow the boom to raise up (by releasing the downhaul) to the lower stop.  This makes for a more compact sail and boom profile to fit under the cover.

Hope this helps,

Dave Gottschalk

Original message attached.
I've checked the tips and saw Bob S' tip on gates for the mast kerf to keep the slugs in position and allowing the mainsail storage along the boom...but I've got a question.
I took possession of my SJ23 and the broker had already dropped the boom and mainsail before I could see exactly how everything was rigged.  And the sail was stored on the boom with a cover.  But now that I have attached the boom and put the main slugs in the kerf, I have the fallout problem in the gate.  I stopped it by putting locking wing nut on a bolt so that I could get the cover on, but what keeps the lowest slug in the kerf while sailing?  Is it a problem or is my boom too low?
Rudy
s/v Thesaurus

This email has been scanned for all known viruses.