Majordomo E-mail Conversation

 Skippers,

I have really enjoyed seeing the sj23 e-mail exchange come alive this week. It really validates what Hal Mueller,Bob Schimmel, and I do in maintaining the SJ23 Internet Fleet WebPages, Techtips, and the e-mail list. A couple of people always ask to be removed from the list after a lively exchange. Does anyone know if there are servers which charge by the number of e-mails one receives? I can't understand why an increase in exchanges always triggers these unsubscribe requests. Maybe some people are just realizing what a majordomo list is and don't like what it is. If so, that is their choice.

But just in case a modification in our behavior could make a difference we could be more careful to switch to a one-on-one e-mail exchange at the point that we have received a good reply  and then are ready to zero in on a two-person follow-up. The problem in making such a switch from just hitting the REPLY button is that the majordomo list is shown as the FROM address and so you have to get the individual's e-mail address somewhere. I include mine in my signature for that purpose. Most everyone else's is in the Skipper Registration on the SJ23 WebPages where you can click on it and send a message. I suggest we try that a little more often. I am sure most of you would just rather delete what you receive and are not interested in. That's how I feel.

One last point while I am acting as Miss Manners. When you do hit the REPLY button it is a good idea to cut the bottom of the message especially if it has been passed through several forwards before getting to you. Now I feel like the minister whose church member after a very insightful message on personal sin told him "Now you have done quit preaching and gone to meddling!"

Chuck and Barbara Vande Wetering

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust the sails."