Re: Boom position

Well if you don't care about racing and having to comply with the racing rules, then hoisting the main to the mast head will create more head room in the cockpit and also more heel in higher winds. If you lower it the boom, the reverse of these two happens; head banging of the boom and less heel in high winds.

My preference is to raise the main to just below the mast head so it works best in light air and creates the most head room in the cockpit. In higher winds I reef. Hope this helps you.

--

Kind Regards

SJ23 - http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2358/index.html AOSA - http://www.geocities.com/alta_sailing/