rudder

The rudder is not fixable , it would never be strong enough withe foam core snapped and totally delaminated. Ive started laminating oak boards from the pattern and am inserting  1/4 inch aluminum 2 1/2 inches wide into the core,epoxying it in and laminating two halves together with an epoxy seal.

As it being the weak point, we didnt hit anything, the pressure snapped it off. The metal plates were tight, I think that its a weak point. Iam also welding two semi circles to the bottom of the two plates to distribute  load to different parts of the rudder.

Its a rush to loose your rudder while under full sail in 25 knot squall, on the verge of winning the regatta. Felt like a Kiwi in the Amer cup.

rob