From: "Langer, Frank" <FLanger@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "'sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: San Juan Rudder Problems
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 10:15:54 -0600

In relation to the recent e-mails on rudder breakdown on SJ 23s, is there
anything that can be done to our existing rudders in a preventive way to
maintain them for longer or avoid the internal delamination that seems to
occur? Obviously checking them regularly and repairing any beginning cracks
to avoid water getting inside is important.  Would extra coats of
epoxy/barrier coat avoid the problem? Is the likelihood of problems equally
great with the kick-up rudder on the Mark 1 model and the full rudder used
on the Mark ll model, or are they built differently?
Thanks for any responses.
Frank