Re: SJ 23 to Cape Lookout

Mike,
Short keeled boats with high free boards such as the SJ 23 are famous for
sailing around the anchor.  One thing I've done in the past is to throw an
anchor off the stern as well as the bow.  I've only done this in a
protective cove where the entrance is narrow and trees on both sides that
would prevent a beam wind.
I've heard one way of preventing sailing on the anchor is to put up a small
sail near the end of the boom and attached to the back stay that will act
as a weather vane and keep the boat dead in the wild.  I've never done
this, but it sounds reasonable.
Jim

           CapnDar@xxxxxx
           Sent by:
           owner-sanjuan23@mob                                          To
           ilegeographics.com         sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                        cc

           07/21/2003 02:17 PM                                     Subject
                                      SJ 23 to Cape Lookout

            Please respond to
           sanjuan23@mobilegeo
              graphics.com

Cape Lookout -we went FRi- Sun - SJ 23 - We left Atlantic Beach Friday at
10 am- great sail over with 5-6 knots boat speed- main only!  Wind blew
hard Fri night -  couldn't keep the grill lit (15-25 knots).  Sat was gray
for much of the day, but a super afternoon from 2-6 pm or so -  great cook
out on the grill  - blew hard again Sat night 20 knots plus in
thunderstorms. Our boat sailed around on its anchor a lot. Sunday was a
pleasant motor back from the Cape - we didn't see any sharks, but LOTS of
big turtles. It was very unusual weather for July 18-20 we never got hot -
never used the fans but had to take down the bimini for fear of a strong
gust bending it!  Does your SJ 23 sail aroumndn its anchor a lot is a stiff
breeze?

Mike R