Re: Mystery knotmeter

Hi Dave;

I'll say you have a mystery there. I've tried every trick I know and cannot find anything close to it on the web. But that doesn't surprise me for old hardware. Back then people simply used their manuals to fix stuff. They didn't air their problems all over the world as is done today and hence you can't find any documentation for it.

Anyway, if you open the instrument head you should find a couple of wires going to the external cable or connector. Likely black (-) and red (+) power leads for illumination. The rest of the wires (likely 2) should then go to the paddle wheel transducer. The polarity will be important if one of the transducer wires also connects to the instrument ground but I doubt that it does. My guess is that the signal wires are floating (an electronics term for NOT connected to ground or power) and simply need to be connected to the circuitry leading to the meter movement. If you have a problem understanding this, contact one of your electronics buddies who should be able to figure this out.

The electronics inside most analogue meters is basically the same. I'm currently working on a Signet MK11 knot meter myself. I think I'll have to reverse engineer this instrument and when I'm done I will have a schematic for it. It might be useful to you.

In the mean time I wish you luck and I hope it works out for you.

--

Kind Regards

SJ23 - http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2358/index.html AOSA - http://www.geocities.com/alta_sailing/