Date: Monday, October 13, 2003 18:53:02
Subject: Good Old Boat Regatta Report

I participated in the 4th Annual Good Old Boat Regatta in Annapolis, MD on October 11th, 2003. I trailered the four hour drive from Cheaspeake, VA and it was well worth the trip! I was the only San Juan 23 that made the trip this year but I hope to see some of you there next year. It is a really fun event and growing every year!

The race was held in the
Chesapeake Bay, just south of the Bay Bridges. We sailed two long upwind legs, a short reach and two long runs. The wind was in the 15 knot range for most of the race, with 3-4 foot waves and a fairly strong current. This made for challenging sailing in a light boat like the SJ23 but we still beat several longer and heavier boats!

The post-race party was also great fun. It was co-sponsored by Good Old Boat Magazine and hosted by a couple who run a B&B/marina on Mill Creek. They opened their home and marina to the participants and provided great hospitality. Several people brought musical instruments and played and sang into the night on the deck of the house. Many of the crews rafted up in the creek or took slips at the marina for the night.

I would like to propose that we use next year's GOB Regatta as a
San Juan 23 gathering opportunity. If at least three boats race, we would be given our own start and it would be great to get together with other owners to compare boat upgrades, modifications, etc. How about it?

Raleigh Martin

?Liberty Call?