Re: Access hatch under seat, George Farland

Hi guys:

An intact settee wall will NOT stop the water from filling the boat due
to a side hull puncture. The ends of the settee voids are not sealed and
water can drain into the bow and stern, albeit slowly.  Once the settees
are filled, the water will continue to flow over the top and fill the
cabin.  Basically the cut-out holes will equalize the level of the water
quicker than if the hull did not have the holes.  Eventually the hull
will fill completely, regardless of the holes. I suppose that not having
the holes will buy you some extra time to get to land though. Consider
this; an SJ23 hull with a 1" diameter hole forward of the keel will fill
to 1 foot deep in about ten minutes. This water is spread pretty well
equally throughout the hull. What a mess.

However, you should concern yourself about the reduced strength of the
settee. An intact wall adds considerable rigidity to the hull.  If you
sail in an area with high winds and rough water, I wouldn't consider
this feature.  While I agree that the access hole is very convenient,
having used them on several other boats, at least cut the hole so the
corners have a 1" radius to them.  This prevents stress points. You
should reinforce the inside edge of the hole with 1" thick wood or
aluminum stiffeners to keep the Fiberglas in line. This would also give
you a convenient attachment point for the inside slide rails you
describe. Remember, two smaller holes ones are stronger than one big one!

--

Kind Regards

bpschim@telusplanet.net