Rudder blade/prop damage

My rudder blade has been chewed by my OB prop! There is a small section, approximately 3-4 inches long, on the trailing edge that has been “chewed” by the prop maybe ” in. deep. Have I probably gotten a wet core now or can I repair this and be OK? Or should I satisfy my desires and just get a new blade in the kick-up version? J

My rudder doesn’t attach to a spring gudgeon and is secured with a bolt and insert nut. I don’t remove it because of this and it’s unwieldy size since the boat is moored. But my OB is very difficult to turn so I also use the rudder to steer while motoring. I’m usually careful about trying to go to starboard because I know the prop can hit the blade but one time recently I had to make a quick hard to starboard and I think that is when the blade got gnawed on. Do others have this same problem? Do you attach the OB to the rudder head for same-effect steering?

Thanks

Rudy