RE: Bimini for SJ 23

Give me a few days to get the information together and I will post it.
Jimmy Harrell

At 12:27 PM 4/13/2004, you wrote:
I'm quite interested in seeing the details of your bimini since I've been
considering making one, and why go to all the trouble of designing one when
you can steal someone else's good ideas.   :-)  Why don't you get Bob
Schimmel put it on the web page as a Tech Tip?

Cheers,
Ralph Fuchs
San Juan 23 "Saucy Sally"
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

-----Original Message----- From: owner-sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of jimmy.harrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 9:08 AM To: sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Bimini for SJ 23

The link below is a photo of a Bimini I made for my SJ23. I threw the first version together last year a few days before a planned weekend trip to Lake Martin in Alabama. I used what I had laying around including a PVC framed Bimini from another boat. The top is about 4' X 4' and I thought at first that it would be too narrow and not long enough to be of much use. I was also worried about not being able to see to trim the sails and that it would be too low since it had to clear the boom. After using it for the weekend, I now think that the size is a good compromise. The shade is big enough so that if we move about the two of us can find enough shade to cool off and it is small enough that I can see around it and look at sail trim. The low height also does not seem to be a problem since if I can stand up in the cockpit behind the Bimini when I want to. The PVC frame has a slip joint in the crossovers which makes it storable in the lazarette. Later, I plan to make a frame out of aluminum and maybe add a third crossover in the middle.

If anyone is interested in specifics, I can post more detailed measurements
and photos.

www.riverside.net/JEH

Jimmy Harrell
Lake Sinclair, GA