Re: Going aloft on an SJ 23

I have gone aloft several times. My first time was a shaky experience on what I consider to be a light boat. The boat was tied in the slip with lines snugged to the dock to prevent rolling into the adjacent rigging. This was in dead calm winds. To tell you the truth the mast moved more because of a person walking on the deck than from my weight up on the mast. I weigh 170 lbs. I have also sent a small boy up the mast while floating free. He weighed about 100 lbs at the time. I could winch him up where he could not winch me up. The boat never gave any feeling that it would roll. Both of felt quite fine with the whole repair.

I find it particularly unnerving using a Bosun's chair and very comfortable using a climbing harness. My young assistant also uses a climbing harness. I have no fear of heights but I hate chasing halyards! If I have to perform any maintenance on the mast, I will lower it rather than climb it. The beauty of an a-frame to make the job easier.

I think a self climber is a great idea to keep you from swinging around the mast. This is much safer. You should still have an assistant around, just in case.

--

Kind Regards

bpschim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx