Re: Going aloft on an SJ 23

 A couple of years back, a friend and I changed out the sheaves at the masthead on Pogy Bait without dropping the mast. You may recall some photos we posted
and Chuck linked from the site. We used climbing gear, and the brave soul who made the climb used ascenders and a leash around the mast to keep him from
waving too wildly in the breeze when the boat rocked. The added weight so far from the vessel center of mass made her a lot less stable, so deck movement created
adventures aloft. That simple leash was the most important part of going aloft.

On 6 Jun 2004 at 15:27, Bob Schimmel wrote:

> I have gone aloft several times.  My first time was a shaky experience
> on what I consider to be a light boat.  The boat was tied in the slip
> with lines snugged to the dock to prevent rolling into the adjacent
> rigging.  This was in dead calm winds.  To tell you the truth the mast
> moved more because of a person walking on the deck than from my weight
> up on the mast.  I weigh 170 lbs.  I have also sent a small boy up the
> mast while floating free. He weighed about 100 lbs at the time.  I could
> winch him up where he could not winch me up. The boat never gave any
> feeling that it would roll.  Both of felt quite fine with the whole
> repair.
>
> I find it particularly unnerving using a Bosun's chair and very
> comfortable using a climbing harness. My young assistant also uses a
> climbing harness.  I have no fear of heights but I hate chasing
> halyards!  If I have to perform any maintenance on the mast, I will
> lower it rather than climb it. The beauty of an a-frame to make the job
> easier.
>
> I think a self climber is a great idea to keep you from swinging around
> the mast.  This is much safer.  You should still have an assistant
> around, just in case.
>
> --
>

> Kind Regards
>
> Bob Schimmel