RE: Access hatch under seat, George Farland

George,
I would not cut hatches in the vertical walls underneath the seats. I'm no expert but it looks to me like these walls add significant rigidity to the hull. Also it looks to me like these compartments would prevent sinking in the unlikely event that the hull was punctured in the area under the seat.

Having said this, I have a friend with a SJ23 who cut access hatches in his boat about a year ago. He hasn't had any structural problems that I know of.

I would like to know what others think about cutting these access hatches. They sure would improve access to the storage area under the seats.

Just my opinion for what its worth.
Jimmy Harrell

You Wrote:
... Since I locate my batteries under the starboard seat I'm planning an easy access hatch near the floor so I don't have to lower them down through the cut outs under the cushions. I'm open to any and all suggestions since I get a lot of enjoyment working on her.

Jacki and George Farland

TWO TACHY

Sugar Land, Texas

<http://www.incredimail.com/redir.asp?ad_id=309&lang=9>2c1e4650.jpg IncrediMail - Email has finally evolved - <http://www.incredimail.com/redir.asp?ad_id=309&lang=9>Click Here