From: owner-sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
jimmy.harrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 8:56 AM
To: sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Access hatch under seat, George Farland

George,
I would not cut hatches in the vertical walls underneath the seats.  I'm
no
expert but it looks to me like these walls add significant rigidity to
the
hull.  Also it looks to me like these compartments would prevent sinking
in
the unlikely event that the hull was punctured in the area under the
seat.

Having said this, I have a friend with a SJ23 who cut access hatches in
his
boat about a year ago.  He hasn't had any structural problems that I
know of.

I would like to know what others think about cutting these access
hatches.  They sure would improve access to the storage area under the
seats.

Just my opinion for what its worth.
Jimmy Harrell