RE: Winches question

I think white lithium grease would be fine, if applied lightly, though there
is a special winches lubrication that Lewmar puts out.  But only use it on
the bearings, not on the springs/pawls.  On the latter, a very light oil is
recommended, as the grease can make them stick and negatively affect the
function of the winch.  Before lubricating, it's important to clean them
thoroughly--amazing how much grime can collect on them, even from one year
to the next, despite the fact that the bearings are covered.
Good luck!
Frank.