Date: Saturday, March 20, 2004 04:17:23
Subject: Rudder blade/prop damage

My rudder blade has been chewed by my OB prop!  There is a small section, approximately 3-4 inches long, on the trailing edge that has been ?chewed? by the prop maybe ½?  in.  deep.  Have I probably gotten a wet core now or can I repair this and be OK?  Or should I satisfy my desires and just get a new blade in the kick-up version? J

My rudder doesn?t attach to a spring gudgeon and is secured with a bolt and insert nut.  I don?t remove it because of this and it?s unwieldy size since the boat is moored. But my OB is very difficult to turn so I also use the rudder to steer while motoring.  I?m usually careful about trying to go to starboard because I know the prop can hit the blade but one time recently I had to make a quick hard to starboard and I think that is when the blade got gnawed on.  Do others have this same problem?  Do you attach the OB to the rudder head for same-effect steering?

Thanks

Rudy