Re: Rudder advice/suggestions sought

Rudy,

I have my rudder set up so that I can use lines to hold the rudder down and also in the up position. I keep the rudder out of the water when at the dock. For a while I used a dowel pin to hold the rudder down and actually broke it a couple of times when I ran aground. The dowel was tight when I put it in and swelled when it got wet. It could not be removed and replaced once it was wet. It was not hard to remove, but it had to be knocked out using a punch. Any removable/replaceable pin would probably be too strong to sheer.

Photos at the link below shows how I have mine set up.  Hope this helps.
http://riverside.net/JEH/SJRudder/

Jimmy Harrell, Lake Sinclair, GA