RE: SJ 23 engine-related questions

DJ & Jamie,
Check the tech tips on how to keep the rudder down:
http://geocities.com/Yosemite/2358/b_hull_tips/b10.html

This might help keep the prop off the rudder.  Some have made their own.
http://shop.trailersailor.com/detail.tpl?cart=32956801562322&fno=300&group=294

Jimmy Harrell

At 01:10 PM 6/8/2004, you wrote:
I posed this problem a few months back. My OB prop would hit the
trailing edge of my rudder and ended up chewing a nice little chunk.
Chuck says the same thing happens to him and that it has become a
periodic repair requirement.
My rudder was fixed and was a pain to try to install out in the open
water. Luckily I was able to easily convert it to a swing up that I can
lock down...and I mean lock down because I insert a stainless clevis pin
where a bolt used to be that had it locked. I don't sail very shallow
water and the need for a pop up rudder is pretty slim.  Now I use the
motor alone for steering while under power...it's not easy cause it's
older and doesn't like to turn very easily. My wife would have some
trouble...it takes force.
A couple of pics showing the fixed rudder and the damage are
http://home.earthlink.net/~dpace56/  The eyebolt toward the bottom is
what was locking everything. I removed it, enlarged the hole and epoxied
in a bushing for a 3/8 clevis pin that I can easily insert or remove.  I
have two lines attached to the blade..one aft for lifting that goes to a
captive clam cleat on the tiller and one attached to the front edge that
I use to pull the blade down.
Jimmy Harrel uses a similar arrangement but also has a cam cleat on the
side of his rudder to "lock down" the blade. I may add the cam cleat
some day but for now the pin works well and I use the front line to take
off any pressure when I want to remove the pin....