Re: SJ23 hull finishing question

It sounds like you may need to remove at least part of the gelcoat layer
and see what's underneath.

If you sand it down a bit and the stain goes away, just fill in the
depression and restore the finish.  If things look worse after you have
sanded for a while, you may be starting a new career.  Get a good
color match, feather the gelcoat so you don't have to do the entire hull,
and then buff it out.

I repaired some deep gouges with Formula 27 and gelcoat, and there
is a real trick to making it come out even. I haven't quite mastered the
art yet, but you never learn if you don't try.

Jack Chandler