Re: whisker pole/lazy sheet usage

Hi Rudy:

You never run a sheet directly to a winch. Always run the sheet through a block or fairlead first. This creates the control to prevent the sheet from snarling or coming off the winch.

In general you don't use another set of sheets when you use a whisker pole. It hangs there with gravity to push the clew out. I suppose you could make a case for a topping lift when sailing downwind in really light air with a very light sail, but this is generally the exception. I did this once with a nylon jib that I borrowed and it worked like a charm. Won that race!

--

Kind Regards

bpschim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx