From: DB27513 (David) [mailto:db27513@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 9:03 PM
To: sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: forward: Newbie Dave just got a San Juan 23

Thanks for the comments Bob.  How does one calculate 200lbs of
flotation? I been looking over the space underneath the cockpit floor
(plan to move existing water tank I think) and its probably 5x3x1.5
(guess). If I filled that with foam, milk jugs, whatever, am I close?
Also have about 900lbs of keel to worry about....

Im surprised this is not a much discussed issue.. or am I being too
cautious?

Gene Adams says been sailing 60 years, and has not been a problem  ;-)

--- Bob Schimmel <bpschim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Rudy:
>
> Several years ago there was a discussion on what the buoyancy would be
> if a SJ23 were full of water.  I can't remember who did the
> calculation
> but the answer was that it would sink.  (surprise, surprise).
> However,
> the real surprise was how little flotation it would take to keep the
> boat at the surface.  I think it required about 200 pounds, not more.
>
> Most of the material in the boat is neutral buoyancy once submerged.
> The problem is with floating heavy things like the outboard engine.
> Maybe
>
> someone else can shed light on this discussion. You won't find it in
> the archives.
>
> Just for your info, a 1.5" hole will fill the hull to 10" deep in
> about 10 minutes.  Don't ask!
>
> --
>

> Kind Regards
>
> Bob Schimmel