Re: towing

I consternated much over this exact question befor purchasing my SJ23
(shoal draft). The boat weighs 2700lbs dry, trailor is probably 400 or
500lbs (steel tandem), and with misc equip it probably approaches 3500
very closely.  I drive a Nissan Quest mini - 150hp V6, with class II
hitch. Both the hitch and vehicle will tow 3500lbs (in theory). After
talking to everyone I could find, the prevailing opinion was to
basically try it, and if it had enough power to actually move the boat,
add a transmission cooler, and stay away from hills.

Well, bought the boat, hitched her up (had to stand on front bumper to
get front wheels on the ground), but in the end I towed her several
miles w/o a problem. I was amazed.  Probably wouldnt do something like
NC to FL, but for short hauls it seems fine.

Dave Backus