To: <sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 27, 2004 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: towing

Mike,
I am glad you were able to weigh your SJ23, gear, and trailer. Where did you get access to road scales? I have wanted to weigh my rig because I really suspect my SJ23, gear, and trailer is in the same weight range as yours. At work I often tow an enclosed canoe and kayak trailer that weighs about 6000 lbs. I feel my SJ23 and trailer weigh about 5000 lbs because the rigs have a similar feel when towing. My last boat had a much different feel and it was in the 2500 lb range. Although the manufacturer claimed to build the SJ23 at 2700 lbs, I suspect, considering they were hand-laid cloth and resin, the boat weights can range widely by hundreds of pounds. Has anyone else had the opportunity to actually weigh their boat, trailer and gear to get an accurate towing weight. Just curious.

Danny Batten
SJ23 Willie Juan
Wake Forest, NC