Re: Cushions

Warren,

I've done many set of cushions for SJ-21's but only one set for an SJ-23.  I used a nice upholstery I order from Best Choice Fabrics.  I used a basic Husky sewing machine with a heavy needle and upholstery thread and a heavy plastic zippers.

I had about $275.00 in materials (for covers only - two settee covers, two backrest covers , one port v-berth cover, one starboard v-berth cover and one v-berth filler). The foam is the pricey part, but you can get good prices from Knox Foam in Tennessee.  3" foam for the SJ-21 is about 200.00.  For the  SJ-23 I'd figure about another $75-$100.

Tim Lynch
SJ-21 #1842 Coir Jaot

Warren Hughes wrote:

Bob;

I am considering replacing the interior cushions in my SJ-23. I was wondering if you made the covers in Tech Tip #C04 yourself, and if so, what the degree of difficulty was, what type material did you use? And did it require a stronger sewing machine than the common household variety?

Sailrite has cushion kits for approximately $25(US)/sq ft. I estimate the interior cushions being a total of 43 sq ft – that would be over $1,000. Ouch.

Did you run into this much expense to redo your cushions?

Thanks,

Warren Hughes

SJ-23 #495

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.3 - Release Date: 1/31/2005