San Juan 23 mailing list
|Mobile Geographics||MapTap for PalmOS||CelestNav for PalmOS||IQ Booster for iQue 3600||SJ23||sailwx.info||tides|
The guy in the slip next to me has a new Catalina 22 wing keel with end boom sheeting and a traveler on the pushpit. He says that is his only complaint with the boat…it’s OK he says if he is the only one in the boat and remains seated but still would rather have another version of main management. But since his cockpit is rather lengthy, and the boat has a pop top, he’s kind of stuck.
Very sound reasoning BobJ.
There are several problems with a traveller mounted on the transom.
1. The sheet sweeps across the cockpit and takes off the head of anyone standing in the cockpit.
2. Your coffee or beer will go overboard if you can manage to stay in the cockpit after being yanked by the mainsheet.
3. It is very annoying to adjust the mainsheet looking back for a sail that is behind you. I had a boat that required this and I could never manage to keep her on course while adjusting the sheet. Also it was difficult to tweak the sheet to set the main just right.
4. Your existing sheet is too short. It will have to be replaced by a much longer one.
5. OK that should be enough.
(Always stay curious)