From: owner-sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of DB27513
(David)
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 8:21 PM
To: sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Mooring out question

Having been the instigator of over-debating the positive floatation
issue for my SJ23, I finally came to the conclusion not to worry about
it

However, IF I were to worry about it, I figgured from some rough
estimates that about 30 cubic feet of floatation would be needed to
keep afloat 3000lbs of metal (50%) and fiberglass (50%). Being basicaly
cheap, I was going to use 2 liter pepsi bottles, until I determined it
would take 420 of them (each one = .07 cft).  Next best solution was a
closed cell foam agent that you mix and pour. Figured the bottom of all
the wedge shaped storage areas could be leveled off nicely throughout
the boat for about $200 for 40 cubic ft.....

but all this is only IF I was worried about it.. and Im not..  ;-)

Dave Backus

--- DJ Nestrick <djnestrick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I plan on leaving my SJ-23 moored out for most of the
> summer. My concern: what happens if she somehow starts
> taking on water? This could be from any source.
>
> I thought about putting in some automatic bilge pumps
> but realized they would help for about 30 minutes
> before killing the battery.
>
> Then I mulled over the whole positive flotation idea
> thats been discussed in this forum before. Seems like
> a lot of work for something that may or may not work.
>
> What does everyone else do when leaving their boats
> moored out for a few days/weeks? Or am I worrying too
> much over a $4000 boat?  :)
>
> DJ Nestrick
> Amarillo - SJ23
> Daytona Beach, FL

> David J. Nestrick, MBA, CFP
> FirsTrust Private Wealth Management Group
> (352)753-8589
> http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

> San Juan 23 Tech Tips:
> mailing list commands: