From: owner-sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of D & B
Schultz
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 10:22 PM
To: sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: a newbie question

What size is your outboard?  Under sail we sometimes have trouble with
too much sail out, esp. the genoa, if the wind kicks up.  A couple of
times the current and wind situation was so bad we hurriedly added the
outboard's power to stay off the rocks. (Less than fantastic sailing
ability issue there, I'm sure.)

The only other time we've had trouble was when the current overpowered
our outboard. We have the kickup rudder and shoal keel. We don't use the

centerboard under power.

As mentioned before your hull speed has to be sufficient for steerage
and that is a big, big challenge for docking at our site with a cross
current. Wish we had a big air bag on the bow to stop us sometimes.

Betsy

mailto:majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?body=help

> San Juan 23 Tech Tips:
> mailing list commands: