sealing the fore hatch

Looking through the tech-tips, but haven’t found anything yet.  My SJ23 just has household weather stripping between the hatch & the deck to keep the water out.  It was a problem yesterday when I was cleaning the deck; water leaked in from around the hatch.  Anyone know of another method or should I just re-apply the weather stripping?