SJ23 Center Baord lift cable

Good day all, a little help please:

My lift cable became detached from the centerboard in an incident that takes way too long to describe here.  Suffice it to say that the board jammed half way down with the loose end of the cable jamming it in place.  I have since released the board and removed the remnants of the old cable.  I can confirm to you that the eye on the centerboard is 4" below the keel when the board is hanging straight down, making it is possible to replace the cable while the boat is in the water.  My 6 year old cable had lots of meat hooks and twists in it (which I'm not interested in) so I'm considering changing the stainless steel cable to Spectra line (or similar) coated with Dacron.

So my question is, how to attach the line to the eye strap with whatever technique so it doesn't jam inside the 1/2" wide keel slot.  While I have good lungs, there is a limit to how long I can hold my breath while attaching a line!
--

Kind Regards

bpschim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx