Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: SJ23 Tech Tip B09

Hi Alex and George:

Funny how some things make sense when you first write them down and later so say to yourself, "what the hell does that mean?"  It took me a while to remember the original incident that prompted this fix.  I have corrected Tech Tip B09 so it is easier to understand but I'm not quite finished with it and will resume tonight. A fixed version is on the web site.  I have too many other pressing issues right now. In a nut shell here it is:

NOTE - A compression sleeve is simply a tube through which a bolt goes through. Make it from epoxy and you can bond it to the rudder. Make it fit snug to the shank of the bolt and of the correct length it becomes a compression sleeve. If you have a fixed rudder, install the epoxy compression sleeves through the rudder for the pintle mounting bolts to pass through. This prevents crushing the rudder shell when you tighten the bolt. It also prevents water leaking into the foam core and adds form strength to the rudder. (This upgrade applies to the fixed rudder only. On the kick up rudder the pintles are bolted to the aluminum rudder head).
--

Kind Regards

bpschim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx