From: sanjuan23-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:sanjuan23-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bob
Schimmel
Sent: Thursday, 23 February 2006 2:54 PM
To: sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Spinnaker blocks

Theo:

Have no fear the toe rail won't pull out under the load of a spinnaker.
I have seen an SJ23 pound (side to side at the bow) against a slightly
smaller boat for 2 days in 2 foot waves. The toe rail of the SJ23
literally cut the other boat to shreds as it first sheared off the rub
rail then opened up the deck. I realize that most of the cutting action
(and hence the load on the toe rail) was downward on the deck, but the
rail also pulled down against the other hull. The SJ23 rail never lifted

off the deck. In the end when I separated the 2 boats, the SJ23 survived

with only cosmetic damage. Absolutely NO damage to the toe rail or any
of the glass supporting it. A quick sanding of the gel coat followed by
a paint job restored the SJ23. I instantly acquired a whole new respect
for the aluminum toe rail.

On another job, I replaced all the factory cup washers with over size
aluminum washers to take the load of my new bow anchor roller. It should

be noted that I found most of the screws loose during the replacement.
Also, I capsized the hull twice (mast head almost to the water) after
which the toe rail never leaked, creaked or showed other signs of
weakness.

If you want real security then install the same aluminum washers I did
as show in Tech Tip B26
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2358/b_hull_tips/b26.html#toe_rail
With all these experiences I look at hulls quite differently now. I see
the strength of a good toe rail versus the weakness of a rub rail. The
SJ23 toe rail ain't coming apart. Hope this helps to ease your fears.

Regards

bpschim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Theo Riethmuller wrote:

>Hello
>
>I live in Brisbane Australia and own a Fleetwing 25, which is a San
Juan